Hello Friends,
As I greeted all the little ghouls and goblins I couldn't help but wonder whose culture and traditions are we going to take over next? The traditions of Halloween are now a part of some book somewhere. We've taken someone's tradition and culture and turned into something ugly and evil, and then we belittled it. Thus the cultural significance and its tradition are near being totally destroyed in this society. Just look at the results of this society with the manner with which the spiritual significances of Yoga has been totally destroyed. It's now a form of exercise, a form of relaxation, it's spiritually dead.
As we go into the month of November, we're suddenly reminded "It's Cool to be Indian" How many of you have actually read the Presidential Proclamation? If you haven't, I greatly encourage you to take a moment and read it. If you can't find it online, contact me and I'll forward it to you. I wish I could have gotten this out before this Election Day. The programs mentioned in the proclamation are just a few things this Administration has done for Native people. This Administration is at least reading the Treaties this government has with Indian Nations. We must stay diligent "HONOR THE TREATIES"
There are a number of activities and events happening for those who are interested.
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Sinclair Community College, Native American Awareness program Building 8, 444 W. Third St. Dayton, OH. 10:00 AM 2:00 PM Come and listen to various presentations regarding the Native American community in and around the City of Dayton.
Thursday, November 4, 2010
A Conversation with Chief Arvol Looking Horse
The American Indian Center of Indiana is sponsoring an evening event, "A Conversation with Chief Arvol Looking Horse (Lakota) at 7:30pm on Nov. 4th at the Ruth Lilly Health Education Center.
Chief Arvol Looking Horse holds an honorary Doctorate from the University of South Dakota and travels and speaks on peace, environmental and native rights issues.
Ruth Lilly Health Education Center
2055 N. Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN
Sunday, November 7, 2010
A Harvest for Reconciliation with our Native Life, The Nati Going Native is hosting a Feast to help bring about the "Age of Reconciliation" from 1:30 to 4:30 PM on World Community Day Weekend. The Feast will be held at North Presbyterian Church, 4222 Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45223 Once again, if you are interested please contact me so I can forward the flier.
Ohio State has a number of events happening as well and you can go to:
http://mcc.osu.edu I would recommend the presentation on November 18, 2010 with Leah Shenandoah at 7:00PM
Sunday, November 13, 2010
"Was and Could Jesus be an Indian" Community of Christ Church, 860 Grange Hall Rd. Beavercreek, OH at 10:45 Come be a part of a conversation with the congregation and Guy Jones.
The Monthly Membership Meeting begins at 1:00 PM in the meeting room. During this season there are some within our community that struggle with making ends meet and I'm asking those who attend the meeting to bring some non-perishable food items.
Saturday, November 20, 2010
The students at Ohio University and the community surrounding Athens, OH are gathering for their Annual Fall Feast at the Hill. Feast time is from 1:00 3:30 PM with Buffalo-Corn Soup and Frybread as the main menu item. They are asking those in attendance to bring snacks, pop, and food to share. Also, to bring School Supplies, New or gently used Clothing all of which will be going to the Miami Valley Council for Native Americans for their Annual Drive to South Dakota.
Ms. Debra Love and all those involved over there in southeastern Ohio have been really good friends to the outreach efforts of the Council and we here want to say from the bottom of our hearts "Thanks to each of those involved"
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
The Spokane Tribal Community will be walking in memory of our ancestors and our loved ones who have made their journey before us. This is to honor Native American Heritage Month. Bring your favorite photo(s) of your loved one that you would like to remember on your walk. We are asking all Native American Communities to please walk in your own community on November 24th at 10:00AM to honor your ancestors and loved ones.
I think I'm going to go walking for awhile, where? I don't know. To where and how far? I don't know. I just know I can spend one day walking to remember those who've walked here before me.
Thursday, November 25, 2010
Turkey Day AKA Thanksgiving Day, before we heat up the ovens, turn on the stoves let us take a moment and remember those who perished on this day during the Green Corn ceremony, those families who struggled on the Trail of Tears, those grandparents who fell holding the white flag at Sand Creek, the children and mothers who had nowhere to run that day at Wounded Knee, those nameless children who rest with no headstone at these boarding schools.
May our prayer that day be one of remembrances and let us be ever so thankful for the lives given to us and our abundance
..
Guy Jones